Most restaurants these days have a respectable selection of salads, some with a choice of protein and others with protein included. At Blue Hound Kitchen & Cocktails, executive chef Dushyant Singh offers both. Today, Singh shares his Beef & Bleu Salad (available at lunch only), a robust offering that doesn’t take long to prepare and is great for entertaining as long as your guests are partial to bleu cheese. You might ask ahead of time because there are a fair amount of bleu cheese haters out there.
Singh has included the bleu cheese dressing recipe, but if you want to use store bought, he suggests you “doctor it up” a bit. “Add some fresh chives and thyme and maybe cut it down with a little vinegar and the difference will be amazing.”
Beef & Bleu Salad
5 oz. prime flat iron steak
2 medium heirloom tomatoes
2 oz. smoked bleu cheese
2 oz. chopped smoked bacon
½ oz. chive sticks
4 leaves gem lettuce
1 oz. extra virgin olive oil
3 oz. bleu cheese dressing
2 garlic cloves
Cracked black pepper
1. Marinate the flat iron with some cracked black pepper, sea salt, ½ oz olive oil and two smashed garlic cloves for around 20 minutes.
2. Heat up the grill and grill the steak to your preference. I prefer medium.
3. Cut the tomatoes in wedges and marinate them with olive oil and sea salt an hour ahead of serving.
4. Pour the dressing in the middle of the plate.
5. Arrange tomatoes on the curve of the plate with gem lettuce leaves, big chunks of smoked bleu cheese, chive sticks and smoked chopped cooked bacon.
6. Sprinkle a little sea salt on top.
7. Place the steak on top of the dressing after it has been cooked and rests for at least 5 minutes.
Smoked Bleu Cheese Dressing
¼ wheel smoked bleu cheese
1 cup regular bleu cheese
1 qt. half and half
3 shallots, sliced
2 cloves garlic
2 cups mayonnaise
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup sliced chives
1 tbsp. black pepper
1. Gather and prep all ingredients.
2. Add all ingredients EXCEPT REGULAR BLEU CHEESE to food processor. Mix until uniform.
3. Transfer to mixing bowl and fold in regular bleu cheese crumbles.
4. Season with salt and pepper.