It’s mid-July and you’ve probably already tried out every salad recipe. If so, we’ve rounded up a salad/pizza combo from Fired Pie that will help you mix things up a little bit.
If you decide to use fresh pizza dough, start with a 6 ½ inch dough ball, then hand stretch out to 11 inches with no rim, says Fred Morgan, co-owner of Fired Pie. “To cook, use a preheated pizza stone and bake in a 500-degree oven for 8 minutes. If you don’t have a pizza stone, use a pan or flip over a cookie sheet, which will take a few more minutes to cook.”
A couple of hot tips from Morgan: “Make sure the pizza and bacon are crispy and don’t overdress your salad.”
The Chopped Salad Pizza is a seasonal offering and will be on Fired Pie’s menu through August.
Chopped Salad Pizza
1 premade pizza crust (can use a 12-inch Boboli)
¼ tbsp. extra virgin oil olive oil
½ garlic clove, finely diced
1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
½ cup mozzarella
1 tbsp. gorgonzola cheese
2 oz. crispy bacon
2 oz. red onion
¼ cup tomato, diced
2 oz. hardboiled egg, chopped
2 oz. blue cheese dressing
3 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
1 tsp. reduced balsamic glaze for topping
Pizza crust preparation
- Brush the crust with the garlic and olive oil and spread mozzarella and parmesan cheese to ½ inch of edge of crust.
- Bake the crust in the oven on a pre-heated pizza stone or a baking sheet for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pizza from the oven and cut into six slices.
Salad topping preparation
- In a mixing bowl, add chopped iceberg lettuce, gorgonzola cheese, crispy bacon, red onion, diced tomato, chopped hardboiled egg and add blue cheese dressing.
- Toss the salad and transfer to the center of the pizza crisp.
- Drizzle 1 tsp. of reduced balsamic glaze on pizza.