So you want to throw together an informal dinner party, it’s 110 degrees and you’re looking for a light dish to whip up. How about a tuna salad? I’m not talking tuna from a can, but poke made from sushi grade tuna, like they serve at OBON Sushi + Bar + Ramen at The Grove Scottsdale.
OBON’s chef Paulo Im has graciously shared the recipe with PHOENIX magazine and he offers a few suggestions: When working with raw fish, make sure that your work surface area is clean and sanitized and that you have a sharp non-serrated knife available; and when cutting the fish, use long slicing motions instead of sawing to preserve the integrity of the fish.
This recipe only makes one serving, so if you’re having that small dinner party, don’t forget to multiply the ingredients accordingly. obonsushi.com
OBON Sushi + Bar + Ramen Poke
4 oz. sushi grade ahi tuna, cut into ¾-inch cubes
¼ cucumber, sliced very thin
½ cup seaweed salad (you can find at an Asian market, such as Asiana, Lee Lee or Mekong)
1 tbsp. reconstituted seaweed (also can be found at an Asian market, see above)
½ tsp. furikake (also can be found at an Asian market, see above)
1/4th avocado, diced
1 jalapeno (or your favorite pepper), thinly sliced (approx. 9 slices)
1 radish, thinly sliced (approx. 6 slices)
2 tbsp. cilantro
½ cup spring mix (or your favorite greens)
sesame seeds to taste
1 tsp. ground mustard
½ cup soy sauce
2 tsp. rice vinegar
1 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. grapefruit juice
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp. honey
- Blend all ingredients, except for the sesame oil the night before in a food processor or blender. Move contents into a mixing bowl. Whisk in the sesame oil. Let the sauce rest in the refrigerator before use. Taste sauce before use and add salt to taste if necessary.
- In a mixing bowl, toss mixed greens with 2 tablespoons of the dressing and place into serving dish.
- Add cucumbers and seaweed salad.
- In a different mixing bowl, add ¼ cup of sauce to tuna, avocado, and reconstituted seaweed.
- Place in the center of serving dish and garnish poke with jalapeno, cilantro, radish, sesame seeds and furikake.