All the news that’s fit to nosh.
Hash Fund: Love the over-the-top bloody Mary bar, cereal-crusted French toast and myriad breakfast hash options at Hash Kitchen? So do the money people at Savory Restaurant Fund, a $200 million fund Mercato Partners formed to back up-and-coming restaurant concepts like Hash, owned and operated by Maggiore culinary family scion Joey Maggiore, his wife Cristina and their business partner, Flora Tersigni. “Hash Kitchen uniquely captures the demand from today’s consumer for restaurant experiences that combine consistently outstanding food with upbeat music and a highly experiential atmosphere,” says Andrew K. Smith, Savory Fund managing partner and co-founder. “We intend to amplify the Hash brand by melding its strengths into Savory’s growth and scale playbook… The Maggiore Group are exceptionally creative operators, and we believe that by combining our talents and resources, we can make Hash Kitchen the breakfast/brunch category’s dominant player west of the Mississippi.” The partnership with Savory will boost Hash Kitchen’s five existing locations in Arizona with 25 new outposts in the western region. “We are really excited that Savory has recognized the potential in Hash Kitchen and is going to work side-by-side with our team to bring our unique brand of social dining experiences to a wider audience,” Joey Maggiore says. “We think Savory is the perfect partner for us, and we can’t wait to implement their proven growth model as we reach beyond our home base to profitably and aggressively expand our footprint to neighboring states.”
San Diego Transplant: Fans of San Diego’s Bivouac Ciderworks can toast this week to an exciting new development: The brand has made its way to Arizona. Popular hard cider flavors including Albright Pear Cider, San Diego Jam Berry Cider, True Lover’s Rosé Cider and Marlin Spike Pineapple Pear Cider will be available in four-packs of 12 oz. cans ($10.99-$12.99) as well as special releases in single 16 oz. cans. Find them in retailers including Whole Foods, Total Wine & More and Trevor’s, which will host a tasting this Friday, November 19, from 5-7 p.m.
Tamale Time: Nothing says “holiday time” in the Southwest like the annual resurgence of tamales in Mexican restaurants across the Valley. Los Sombreros will offer six varieties this season: green corn (corn, poblano chile, Jack cheese), tomatillo chicken (smoked chicken, salsa verde, Jack cheese), rajas (poblanos, onions, crema, Jack cheese), carnitas (carnitas, chipotle tomatillo salsa, Jack cheese), shredded beef brisket (beef brisket and guajillo sauce) and pineapple (pineapple, brown sugar, raisins). Order by the dozen at least 24 hours in advance here. Pre-sales begin after Thanksgiving, with pickup beginning December 1 and running through December 24.
Competitive Comida: Valley Mexican mainstay Macayo’s Mexican Food is throwing its sombrero in the food-challenge ring with the Chimi Challenge. Diners who can consume a 5-lb. Chimichanga (beef, chicken or chalupa) mixed with Mexican rice and refried beans and topped with red enchilada sauce, Baja sauce, fire-roasted tomatillo sauce, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream and cheese ($30) in 20 minutes or fewer will win free Macayo’s for a whole year. Dine-in only.
New Restaurants on the Block: Itching to try something new? Add this to your to-dine list:
- Pork on a Fork: North Phoenix barbecue haunt Pork on a Fork is celebrating its soon-to-open Chandler location with weekly food truck events in the parking lot of the new restaurant. From 5-8 p.m. on Fridays until the eatery opens, pop over to 1972 N. Alma School Rd. for tasty barbecue and a chance at winning gift cards. A total of $200 worth of gift cards will be awarded.
$aving$: Watching the old budget? Who isn’t? Here are some sweet deals to help you $ave.
- Miracle Mile Deli: From November 1-December 31, the Phoenix deli will give customers a bonus gift card for every $100 in gift cards they purchase. The amounts on the gift cards vary from $20-$100 and remain a mystery until the guest selects it.
- Chompie’s: More gift card goodness! From November 1-December 31, Chompie’s will offer bonus gift cards. For each $50 you spend on gift cards, you’ll receive an additional $10 GC.
- Macayo’s Mexican Food: Yet another gift card bonus: Get a $10 bonus gift card for every $50 you spend on Macayo’s gift cards, from November 24-December 24.
- Fox Restaurant Concepts: Until December 31, buy $100 in gift cards from The Henry, Blanco Tacos & Tequila, Olive & Ivy, The Arrogant Butcher, etc. (except Flower Child, which has its own special, below) and get a $20 bonus gift card.
- Flower Child: Through December 31, buy a $50 gift card and get a $10 bonus card.
- Sauce Pizza & Wine: Enjoy a $5 bonus gift card for every $25 gift card purchased from November 1-December 31.
- eegee’s: Get a $10 bonus gift card with every $50 gift card purchase from November 14-December 31.
- Valley Coffee Company: Purchase a $100 gift card and receive a free Hydro Flask with Valley Coffee Company logo, November 22-December 24.
- Taphouse Kitchen: From November 26-December 31, get a $25 gift card for every $100 gift card purchase.
- Match Market & Bar: Buy a $100 gift card and receive a $35 bonus gift card from November 26-November 29. Throughout December, a $100 gift card purchase comes with a $25 complimentary gift card.