Miracle cocktails | Photo by Melissa Hom
All the news that’s fit to nosh.
Christmassy Carousing: Holiday revelers, mark your calendars. Two beloved pop-up concepts are returning this winter.
- Sippin’ Santa: Head to Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour from November 23-December 24 for Sippin’ Santa, a holiday-themed tiki takeover. Tiki expert Jeff “Beachbum” Berry will be selling collectible tiki mugs and barware, and seasonal libations will include Yule Log Grog, White Russian Christmas, Azul Navidad and The Regifter. No reservations; everything is first-come, first-served.
- Miracle: From November 18-January 1, experience a Christmas “Miracle” with Miracle on Floor 13 Rooftop Bar at the Hilton Garden Inn. Reservations will be accepted for one fully decorated room with private patio and entrance (accommodates three guests), but are not required for the rest of the bar. Look for old favorite cocktails including the Christmapolitan, Snowball Old-Fashioned and Christmas Carol Barrel, along with new drinks like the Elfing Around.
Tiki Invasion: B&T isn’t the only tiki pop-up happening this month. Roosevelt Row’s Luckys Indoor Outdoor is hosting Tiki Takeover Pt. 2 on November 16 from 6-10 p.m. Valley mixology and tiki enthusiast Tiki Dan will be pouring tropical tipples including the Fall Daiquiri and the Oaxacan Sling while OH Allen the DJ plays retro tunes. The food menu will include Polynesian-inspired noshes like poke tacos, pineapple pork tacos and teriyaki pineapple burgers with tater tots. Tiki garb is strongly encouraged.
Cult Favorite: Those wily wine minxes at Postino are at it again. Wine-centric brunch cocktails would have been enough for us, but they’ve upped the ante with the WineCafe’s first subscription-based wine club. Postino Wine Cult launches on November 15 with a box filled with four wines curated by Upward Projects beverage director Brent Karliceck. Club boxes for “Culties” will ship four times a year – $60 per box, or $220 for an annual subscription. Members will also receive a sign-up gift of a branded tote with stickers, a complimentary bottle from Postino’s regular menu, 20 percent off bottles to go, access to small-batch wines and first samplings of seasonal wines offered by the glass. If you sign up before the end of 2021, you’ll be considered a Founding Member and enjoy additional perks and exclusive experiences.
Cocktail Kings: Valley beverage company Chaco Flaco, whom we’ve written about a number of times, is making big moves in the local and national cocktail market. It recently debuted statewide at retailers including AJ’s Fine Foods and Total Wine and at restaurants including The Porch and Wasted Grain. Founders Chuck Moore and Steve Cislaw have plans for national expansion on the horizon.
What’s Poppin’: Harkins Theatres popcorn devotees have a new source for their obsession. The homegrown movie theater chain recently debuted a new flavor of packaged popcorn, available at Fry’s Food Stores. Joining existing flavors Movie Theatre Butter, Cheddar Cheese, White Cheddar, Kettle Corn and Creamy Caramel is The Mix! Cheddar & Caramel. It’s half cheesy, half sweet, all delicious.
New Restaurants on the Block: Itching to try something new? Add this to your to-dine list
- Dapper & Stout: Valley coffee company Dapper & Stout opened its third location this week. The newest shop has made its home in Phoenix’s Uptown Plaza and has the largest menu yet for a D&S outpost. In addition to coffee and espresso drinks, guests can enjoy teas, smoothies, protein drinks, pastries, oatmeal, cheese dip, cheese plates, chili, French toast, bagels, sandwiches and even booze – the full bar offers kombucha, craft beer, wine, sparkling wine and cocktails. Try the Matcha Colada with pineapple rum, dark rum, matcha, pineapple and coconut.
$aving$: Watching the old budget? Who isn’t? Here are some sweet deals to help you $ave.
- Miracle Mile Deli: From November 1-December 31, the Phoenix deli will give customers a bonus gift card for every $100 in gift cards they purchase. The amounts on the gift cards vary from $20-$100 and remain a mystery until the guest selects it.
- Chompie’s: More gift card goodness! From November 1-December 31, Chompie’s will offer bonus gift cards. For each $50 you spend on gift cards, you’ll receive an additional $10 GC.
- Macayo’s Mexican Food: Yet another gift card bonus: Get a $10 bonus gift card for every $50 you spend on Macayo’s gift cards, from November 24-December 24.
- Fox Restaurant Concepts: Until December 31, buy $100 in gift cards from The Henry, Blanco Tacos & Tequila, Olive & Ivy, The Arrogant Butcher, etc. (except Flower Child, which has its own special, below) and get a $20 bonus gift card.
- Flower Child: Through December 31, buy a $50 gift card and get a $10 bonus card.
- Sauce Pizza & Wine: Enjoy a $5 bonus gift card for every $25 gift card purchased from November 1-December 31.
- eegee’s: Get a $10 bonus gift card with every $50 gift card purchase from November 14-December 31.
- Valley Coffee Company: Purchase a $100 gift card and receive a free Hydro Flask with Valley Coffee Company logo, November 22-December 24.