A bittersweet moment for Arizona highlighted the medal ceremony at the 2023 Great American Beer Festival on Saturday in Denver, Colorado.
Flying Basset Brewing captured the only gold medal for a brewery in our state, winning in the Contemporary Gose category for Citrus Snack. Earlier this month on Instagram, Flying Basset announced it’s final day of operations would be September 30.
Arizona breweries in total took home six awards, including a silver medal for Tucson’s Basin + Range, a silver for Lumberyard in Flagstaff and two bronze medals for Wren House.
The six medals is the best showing at GABF for our state since 2019, when Arizona totaled 8 medals. In 1998, Arizona captured 9 medals — the most of any year for the state in GABF history.
Here are all the AZ winners at GABF 2023:
- Fate Brewing Co. won bronze in the American Sour Ale category for Fate Single Hop Sour.
- Flying Basset Brewing won gold in the Contemporary Gose category for Citrus Snack.
- Basin + Range won silver in the Contemporary Gose category for In Bloom.
- Lumberyard Brewing Co. won silver in the Extra Special Bitter category for Railhead Red.
- Wren House Brewing won bronze in the Extra Special Bitter category for Hooks & Dun.
- Wren House Brewing won bronze in the Juicy or Hazy Imperial IPA category for Blue Quad Roller Skates.
Fun fact: the first Arizona brewery to win a medal at GABF was Black Mountain Brewing Co. in 1990 for a beer named Crazy Ed’s Arizona Pilsner. It won bronze in the European Pilsner category.