Valley Coronavirus Update: 6,948 cases, 293 deaths and more statewide testing

Madison RutherfordApril 28, 2020
Share This
https://www.phoenixmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/AdobeStock_331307568-1280x853.jpeg

Happy headlines are hard to come by these days. Coronavirus cases in the Valley and fear concerning the pandemic continue to rise, but there are silver linings – the community is coming together (virtually) in solidarity and local organizations, businesses and residents are doing the best they can to support each other. Our duty during these tough times is to keep you informed and updated, even if the news isn’t always uplifting. Here is a roundup of coronavirus-related news in our region for Tuesday, April 28.

Coronavirus Cases Exceed 6,900
According to the Arizona Department of Health Services, there are now 6,948 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Arizona. Nearly 3,600 of those cases are in Maricopa County.

293 Deaths Have Occurred Due to Coronavirus
On Sunday, the state reported that coronavirus had claimed 275 lives. That number did not change on Monday. It is the first day since March 21 that no new deaths have been reported. On Tuesday, the death toll rose by 18. Of those 293 deaths, 233 were 65 or older.

Coronavirus-Related Unemployment Claims Drop
The amount of Arizonans filing for unemployment has plummeted by more than a quarter, suggesting that many have found relief from job losses due to COVID-19. Last week, the state reported 52,350 claims for unemployment benefits. The previous week saw 72,433 claims.

Arizona Ramps Up Coronavirus Testing
According to Governor Doug Ducey, the state aims to test 30,000 to 60,000 Arizonans for COVID-19 in the coming weeks. Arizona is partnering with health care providers to test at least 10,000 people every Saturday, starting this weekend. CVS has also expanded its free self-swab testing throughout the state and aims to open 1,000 new testing locations nationwide.

Maricopa County Delays Criminal Charges Due to Coronavirus
The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office is filing fewer charges and sending less people to jail to slow the spread of COVID-19. The county filed 734 cases the first week of March. Only 342 cases have been filed in April.

Governor to Decide Whether to Extend Stay-At-Home Order
Governor Doug Ducey’s stay-at-home order went into effect on March 31. Ducey says he will announce whether the order will be lifted or extended this Thursday, April 30. Phoenix mayor Kate Gallego said on Monday that she would like input on the impending decision to help people better prepare for the reopening of the state.