It’s almost hard to find a breakfast menu these days that doesn’t have avocado toast on it. Some are simple – plain avocado smeared on toast – while others are more elaborate. Ryan Mead, co-owner of The Place in DC Ranch, says avocado toast isn’t on his regular menu, but he offers a special seasonal version. Currently, he’s whipping up winter avocado toast topped with roasted butternut squash laced with maple syrup.
The ingredients might sound like an odd mix, but the sweetness and texture comes together really well, Mead says. Spoiler alert: If you’re not a squash fan, Mead is planning a spring offering that might include peas and radishes. Stay tuned.
Winter Avocado Toast
Yields 2 servings
2 slices thick sliced multigrain bread (or any personal favorite)
Half butternut squash, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
1 whole ripe avocado
2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
2 tbsp. toasted pepitas
Salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
• Heat oven to 375 degrees
• Make the maple roasted squash by combining the cubed squash, maple syrup, 1 tbsp. olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Spread the squash evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes or until brown and crispy around the edges. Set aside when finished.
• While the squash is roasting, prepare the other ingredients. Slice avocado in half and remove the skin and pit. Place in small bowl and add a dash of salt and pepper and 2 tsp. of olive oil. Mix until just combined with a chunky consistency.
• Toast the bread and make eggs to your preference. (We like to poach ours.)
• Spread half the avocado mixture on each piece of toast and place on a plate.
• Top with a decent spoonful of the roasted squash.
• Place cooked egg on top and salt and pepper to your preference.
• Sprinkle the pepitas over the top and any fresh herbs you might have. Enjoy!
Eat and drink your way through the Valley with our delectable daily dispatches on everything from craft cocktail bars to mom-and-pop neighborhood spots. To get food-and-bev news delivered to your inbox, sign up for our Eat Beat newsletter.