1. Choose beef cuts with high fat marbleization, like rib-eyes and strip steaks.
2. Place the meat in the aging box. Under strictly controlled temperatures (between 32 and 36 degrees Fahrenheit) and humidity levels (around 60 to 70 percent), the cuts rest here for a month up to 140 days.
During this time, enzymes in the muscle cells break down proteins into amino acids (creating umami and nut-like flavors), convert carbohydrates into sugars (making the meat sweeter) and weaken connective tissue in the meat (making it more tender). Meanwhile, the beef dehydrates and friendly molds flourish on its surface.
3. The beef is removed and cut into smaller subprimal cuts, releasing the meat’s new, nutty aroma. Excess fat is trimmed, leaving only enough to add flavor.
4. After a sprinkling of kosher salt, the newly cut steak enters a 2,000 degree broiler, and is cooked until the surface is a caramelized brown.
5. The steak is removed and given a five-minute breather before it’s placed onto a plate capable of withstanding 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit. Both steak and plate are placed back into the broiler at 2,000 degrees. The plate is rotated while cooking to provide even temperature throughout the pieces. After cutting, arranging and garnishing, this artfully-deteriorated delicacy is ready to serve.
Ben & Jack’s Steakhouse
4180 N. Drinkwater Blvd., Scottsdale
The 10 Hottest Neighborhoods of 2020
Our roundup of metro Phoenix’s hottest areas for living and investment... five years from today. ...
Neighborhoods We Love
Whether you’re relocating or just recreating, the Valley’s diverse and distinctive neighborhoods offer a host of haunts to explore. From family friendly enclaves to hidden historic ’hoods, plus meccas for outdoorsy types, foodies an...
7 Splendid Swimmin’ Holes
We take you on a tour of Arizona’s best shady spots to get wet ...
Adult Pool Parties
What’s the difference between a pool party and a pool par-tay? A cover charge and a DJ, usually. Beat the triple-digit heat at these sizzling Valley pool events. ...
2015 Summer Beer Guide
Get a handle on new taprooms and breweries with our seasonal salute to Arizona suds. But First: 5 local releases you should try right now. ...