Boosters heralded the Carnegie Library as an “ornament to the city’’ when it opened in Downtown Phoenix in 1908, giving residents their first permanent public library. Today, the red brick building is one of the city’s historic jewels and will share the spotlight as adjacent Washington Street undergoes a pedestrian-friendly makeover to celebrate the state’s Centennial.
Riding the rails to the country’s first chain restaurants, prim and intrepid Harvey Girls helped civilize the Southwest and bring
tourism to Arizona.
In 1949, 18-year-old Joan Haydukovich had her eye on a $90 green coat – a coat her mother insisted she buy with her own money. In search of employment, she set off down the dusty roads of Winslow to La Posada Hotel, the gem of an otherwise lackluster town.
Arizona’s First Governor
George W.P. Hunt (1859-1934) nicknamed himself the “Old Walrus” during his seven-term reign as Arizona’s first governor, but don’t be suckered by the self-deprecation – the one-time teen drifter was a skilled and nimble political operator. A colleague once described the bald, big-bellied populist as a “behind-the-scenes manipulator who presided in the manner of a stoic, benign Buddha, if one could picture Buddha with a splendid handlebar mustache.”
Goodyear makes a railroad connection with its pre-suburban yesteryear in honor of the Centennial.
In its heyday, the Litchfield Train Station in Goodyear served as a vital gateway to the outside world: Hollywood stars alighted on the West Valley to film Westerns and rusticate at their ranches, and executives chugged in from the East to tend to their burgeoning business interests. The station even served as a launchpad for the area’s cotton industry.
Home to the Valley’s first high-rise residences and the late, great Phoenix Playboy Club, midtown was the most swinging neighborhood in Phoenix back in the sleek ’60s. Today, new generations are discovering the joys of our most urban enclave.
From the 1930s through the ’50s, one Arizona family dominated the local rodeo scene. Raised by a father who worked at Dobson Ranch when it was a massive cattle ranch and farm, the Finley brothers – Luther, Larry and Frank – learned horse culture quickly.